Carpal Tunnel Release
What is carpal tunnel surgery?
Endoscopic carpal tunnel release surgery is a procedure that reduces the pressure placed on your median nerve, caused by carpal tunnel syndrome. Pressure on the median nerve results in pain and immobility, limiting your ability to do simple tasks like holding a small object. The experienced orthopedic surgeons at Orthopedic Associates of Northern California perform endoscopic carpal tunnel release surgery using advanced, minimally invasive approaches that are backed by the most current clinical research.
Why is carpal tunnel surgery used?
Carpal tunnel release surgery might be indicated, if you experience any of these common symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome and have not had success with conservative treatment options:
- Pain in the hand or fingers
- Shooting pains
- Nighttime waking due to hand pain or cramping
- Difficulty moving fingers
- Feeling of swelling in the hand (even if there is no visible swelling)
- Weakened grip
- Trouble holding or picking up small objects
What does carpal tunnel surgery involve?
You can expect the following steps on the day of your carpal tunnel release surgery:
- A small incision is made just above your wrist near the median nerve.
- Your surgeon locates the median nerve in your wrist and protects it throughout the entire procedure.
- The narrow passageway known as the carpal tunnel, through which the nerve and tendons pass, is expanded by cutting through the roof of the tunnel.
- The incision is closed using two stitches, skin glue and the hand is wrapped with a soft cotton bandage.
After your procedure, your orthopedic surgeon will post-operative instructions to ensure a quick and successful recovery. Often times, no therapy is needed after this minimally invasive endoscopic approach.
What are the benefits of having carpal tunnel surgery?
The benefits of undergoing carpal tunnel release surgery with OANC include:
- Hand pain relief
- Restored hand & wrist function and range of motion
- Ability to return to your normal activities
- Experienced and caring wrist orthopedic surgeons
- Endoscopic carpal tunnel release allows for a faster recovery and return to work than more traditional carpal tunnel surgeries